Wantage & Abingdon Logo Link
Wantage & Abingdon
Methodist  Circuit
Back home  /  Churches  /  Childrey  /  Childrey History

Childrey History


Childrey Methodist Church was opened in 1849 and interesting documentation about its history still exists. (Until Methodist Union there was also a Primitive Methodist Chapel in the village).

Unfortunately in March 1986 the Chapel frontage collapsed without warning. The congregation decided to rebuild, a process which was held up by planning and access problems. Using proceeds from the sale of land and the Chapel cottage, a multipurpose building was erected and opened on 22nd October 1994. Several village organisations use the buildings for their activities.

1996 marked the millennium of recorded Christianity in the village and this was celebrated by the churches and village community in various ways.

During their displacement from the Chapel building, the Methodist congregation were offered use of part of the 14th century Parish Church for their worship. This hospitality was greatly appreciated and relations between Anglicans and Methodists continue to strengthen, with regular united services and popular shared social events.

Circuit Map

© 2024 – Wantage & Abingdon